This inmate’s staying put. Forest Avenue break-ins tack on extra prison time

silive’s Logo

STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. — So much for getting out of jail early.

A repeat felon from Stapleton, who’s currently serving a prison term of up to five years for gun possession, would have been eligible for parole in July.

But Jeffrey Reader won’t be leaving the lockup anytime soon.

That’s because Reader, 29, was sentenced on Tuesday to two to four years behind bars for his latest conviction, for breaking into a pair of West Brighton restaurants two years ago.

The defendant’s new prison term will be tacked on to the one he’s currently serving in the gun case. The two cases aren’t related.

The burglaries occurred on the 300 block of Forest Avenue between 3 and 4 a.m. on Jan. 4, 2019, said authorities.

The defendant broke into Mar Mar restaurant through a rear window and snatched more than $9,000 in cash, plus electronic equipment, said prosecutors’ court filings.

The restaurant’s owner, Yulia Cilindrello, previously told the Advance/ the burglary was captured on surveillance videotape.

Reader also burglarized Liberty Tavern, court papers said.

The defendant broke an ATM at the front of the pub by prying at it with a crowbar, said court documents.

Reader ran when he heard cops coming and left behind telltale evidence, court papers said.

Police found articles of clothing, a crowbar, a flashlight and some cash, said court records.

Authorities later matched the defendant’s DNA to the clothing, court papers said.

In a prior interview, Brian Morris, an owner of Liberty Tavern, said the burglar broke into the ATM after trying unsuccessfully to gain access to the restaurant’s safe.

“I went home after working the night shift and decided before I went to bed to check the cameras one last time,” Morris, who lives in the neighborhood, said then.

“I happened to see a guy breaking into the ATM, so I threw some clothes on, I got in my truck, I raced down, and, in the process, I called 911,” he said.

By the time Morris arrived, the suspect had fled.

Morris said the thief tried to use a hand truck to wheel the safe out of the restaurant but couldn’t do so.

Reader was indicted on charges including burglary, grand larceny and possessing burglar’s tools.

Last February, Reader pleaded guilty in state Supreme Court, St. George, to one count of third-degree burglary to satisfy all charges against him. The two-to-four year sentenced was imposed Tuesday.

Meanwhile, the defendant is currently serving a sentence of 30 months to five years for gun possession.

That conviction stems from Reader’s arrest by his parole officer on July 11, 2017, inside the defendant’s home.

Authorities found a .22-caliber Firearms International Corporation Regent revolver with four rounds in the cylinder in one room, said a criminal complaint.

Reader’s first prison sentence resulted from a May 2013 trial conviction of third-degree burglary.

The defendant was found guilty of stealing “hundreds of feet of copper and brass pipe,” as well as a cast-iron radiator and a water meter from a house under construction on Chestnut Street in his community on July 16, 2012.

Reader, who left more than $10,000 worth of water damage in his wake, sold the metal to a scrap dealer for $440, the Advance/ reported.

He was sentenced to 30 months to five years behind bars and paroled on Nov. 22, 2016, according to online records of the state Department of Corrections and Community Supervision.

Assistant District Attorney Adam Silberlight prosecuted the burglaries.

Source link