ROCHESTER, N.Y. – Rochester Institute of Technology junior forwards Will Calverley (Scarborough, Ontario) and Kobe Walker (Lloydminster, Alberta) and sophomore forward Elijah Gonalves each notched a goal and an assist to lead the Tigers to a 5-1 victory over visiting Long Island University, Saturday, at the Polisseni Center.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- LIU (2-2-0) scored the lone goal of the first period. Senior forward Derek Osik scored on a shot from the top of the slot through a crowd with 8:59 on the clock.
- RIT responded with three unanswered goals in the second. Junior forward Jake Joffe (Toronto, Ontario) rang a shot in off the left post 2:29 into the period before Calverley buried a cross-ice feed from Walker 36 seconds later to finish a two-on-one opportunity.
- Gonsalves skated from behind the Sharks’ goal and snapped a high, glove-side, wrist shot into the net with 10:23 left in the second for a 3-1 edge.
- The Tigers tacked on a pair of power play goals following a five-minute interference penalty on LIU with 6:39 left in regulation. Walker finished roofed a shot over LIU senior goalie Stephen Mindinger’s glove to finish a mini rush at 3:20 before senior forward Jake Hamacher (Corona, Calif.) scored off a Gonsalves feed with 2:24 left to finish the evening.
- RIT earned the non-conference split with LIU after the visiting Sharks took a 4-3 victory on Friday in the first-ever meeting between the teams.
- Senior goalie Ian Andriano (Barrie, Ontario/Ottawa Jr. Senators) stopped 23 shots to earn his first victory of the season as RIT out-shot LIU, 38-24.
- Hamacher’s goal was the 30th of his RIT career.
- Senior defenseman Dan Willett (Bayville, N.Y.) was credited with his 50th career assist on Calverley’s goal.
- Senior forward Bryson Traptow (Calgary, Alberta) played his 75th career game in a RIT sweater.
RIT (3-2-1) is scheduled to return to Atlantic Hockey play this Thursday with a trip to the LECOM Harbor Center in Buffalo, N.Y. to take on Canisius at 7:05 p.m. Stay tuned to RITathletics.com and @RITMHKY for the latest schedule updates.