Explosion, fire break out at Iranian electric power station, state media report – Iran

Explosion, fire break out at Iranian electric power station, state media report - Iran

Iranian State media reported Saturday an explosion that led to a fire at one of Iran’s biggest electric power station in the southwestern city of Ahvas, confirmed the Saudi Al Arabiya TV.

A video and photos circulated around social media show the fire that allegedly broke out after “an explosion occurred at one of the power generators,” Al Arabiya quoted the head of the local fire department as saying, and added that the explosion is likely to be a result of high temperatures.  

The blaze, was put out by firefighters and electricity was restored after partial outages, Mostafa Rajabi Mashhadi, a spokesman for state-run power company TAVANIR, told the semi-official news agency Tasnim.

There have been several other incidents at facilities across the country recently.

A chlorine gas leak occurred at a unit of the Karoon petrochemicals plant near the port of Bandar Imam Khomeini on the Gulf, the Iranian oil ministry’s SHANA news agency reported.

“Some employees who were present near the unit suffered minor injuries (because of chlorine inhalation),” the plant’s director told SHANA, adding that the leak was stopped.

On Thursday, a fire broke out at a building above Iran’s underground Natanz nuclear enrichment facility, though officials said it did not affect its centrifuge operation or cause any release of radiation. After the fire, the head of civilian defense threatened that Iran will retaliate against any country that carries out cyber attacks on its nuclear sites.

An article issued on Thursday by state news agency IRNA addressed what it called the possibility of sabotage by enemies such as Israel and the United States, although it stopped short of accusing either directly. But an online video and messages purportedly claiming responsibility for a fire deepened the mystery Friday around the incident.

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu declined to address Thursday’s incident at a press conference.

The Atomic Energy Organization of Iran sought to downplay Thursday’s fire, calling it an “incident” that only affected an under-construction “industrial shed,” spokesman Behrouz Kamalvandi said. However, both Kamalvandi and Iranian nuclear chief Ali Akbar Salehi rushed after the fire to Natanz, which has been targeted in sabotage campaigns in the past.

That fire came after two other incidents in Iran. Nineteen people were killed on Tuesday in an explosion at a medical clinic in the north of Tehran, which an official said was caused by a gas leak.

On June 26, an explosion occurred east of Tehran near the Parchin military and weapons development base that the authorities said was caused by a leak in a gas storage facility in an area outside the base.

The Associated Press and Reuters contributed to this report.

Source link