Former 2012 Republican presidential candidate Herman Cain has been diagnosed and hospitalized Wednesday with Covid-19, according to his employer Newsmax and an official statement posted on Cain’s Twitter feed.
Cain, as a co-chair of Black Voices for Trump, was one of the surrogates at President Trump’s June 20 rally in Tulsa, Oklahoma.
“We are sorry to announce that Herman Cain has tested positive for COVID-19, and is currently receiving treatment in an Atlanta-area hospital,” the tweet from Cain’s account reads.
Cain tested positive for Covid-19 on June 29 and was hospitalized on July 1 after developing symptoms serious enough to be hospitalized, according to the statement posted on Twitter.
He spent the night in an Atlanta-area hospital and is “awake and alert,” according to the statement.
Paris Dennard, pictured smiling right behind Cain in a picture on Cain’s Twitter page from Trump’s Tulsa rally, told CNN he has not been informed about Cain’s positive diagnosis nor his hospitalization.
“No, I have not been informed,” said Dennard, who is an adviser for black media affairs at the Republican National Committee. “I have not seen the reports about Herman Cain.”
Dennard said he himself has not been tested for coronavirus since the Tulsa rally because he has “exhibited zero symptoms” and is regularly wearing a face covering.
Some more context: At least eight Trump advance team staffers who attended the Tulsa rally tested positive for coronavirus.
After interacting with several colleagues who later tested positive, all of Trump’s campaign staffers who attended his Tulsa rally quarantined the following week, CNN previously reported.
CNN has reached out to the Trump campaign for comment.
Cain is a contributor for Newsmax, a conservative media outlet. According to the outlet, Cain is doing well and is not on a ventilator.
CNN’s DJ Judd contributed reporting