High-speed chase starting in Springfield leaves one man in custody

High-speed chase starting in Springfield leaves one man in custody

SPRINGFIELD, Ore.  — A Eugene man is now in custody at the Lane County Jail after leading police on a high-speed chase through Springfield and ending near the Eugene Airport.

According to police, at approximately 8:56 PM, a Springfield police officer conducted a traffic stop on an unlicensed Infiniti sedan, on Mohawk Blvd. Trenton Fryer-Keating was driving the vehicle with a female in the passenger seat. 

The SPD officer checked the VIN and learned the vehicle was stolen. It had been reported stolen in Eugene on January 17th.  

Before the officer had even walked back to the sedan, Fryer-Keating, the driver, fled the traffic stop at a high rate of speed and entered westbound I-105.

Another SPD officer and an SPD supervisor were able to catch up to the pursuit as it entered Eugene on the Beltline. According to police they reached speeds over 80 miles per hour while chasing the sedan on the Beltline. 

The chase went through several River Road neighborhoods, onto River Road, and back through several neighborhoods.

A Lane County Sheriff’s Office deputy was able to deploy spike strips on Irving Road near Northwest Expressway. The spike strips deflated multiple tires on the sedan. The pursuit slowed down but continued westbound on Clear Lake Rd. 

The vehicle stopped on Clear Lake Road, just east of Greenhill Road, and Fryer-Keating started fleeing on foot. Two SPD officers, and a K-9 officer, chased him on foot.

K-9 Nord chased the Fryer-Keating while his handler yelled to him to stop. Just before K-9 Nord caught up to Fryer-Keating, he stopped running, laid on the ground and yelled that he was surrendering.

Fryer-Keating was taken into custody and charged with unauthorized use of a vehicle, possession of a stolen vehicle, elude by vehicle, elude by foot, reckless driving, reckless endangering, and carrying a concealed firearm. 

Officers discovered an empty pistol holster on Fryer-Keating’s belt. Further investigation revealed he was in possession of the gun and threw the gun out the window of the car during the pursuit.

The female passenger was released at the scene.

Source link