FOREIGN AND COMMONWEALTH OFFICE VIA FLICKR
The Queen has summoned the Prince of Wales, the Duke of Cambridge and the Duke of Sussex to attend a crisis meeting at Sandringham on Monday.
The unprecedented summit will see the most senior members of The Royal Family discuss the Duke & Duchess of Sussex’s future in the family.
Meghan is expected to dial-in to the meeting from Canada.
The meeting will mark the first time that Prince Harry has spoken to his family face-to-face since making the shock announcement on Wednesday that he and his wife would be stepping down as senior royals.
In their statement, which was not approved by The Queen, Harry & Meghan said they wanted to ”carve out a progressive new role” within the Royal Family and ”work to become financially independent”.
The statement also said that dividing their time between the UK and America would allow them to ”raise our son with an appreciation for the royal tradition into which he was born while also providing out family with the space to focus on our next chapter”.
They said they would continue ”to honour our duty to The Queen, the Commonwealth and our patronages” and they added they would be launching a new charitable entity.
Neither The Queen or any other member of The Royal Family were consulted about Harry & Meghan’s statement before the couple released it via their Instagram account on Wednesday evening.
A palace source told the BBC that the royals feel “hurt” by Harry & Meghan’s actions.
The news of Harry & Meghan’s effective resignation from The Royal Family has taken Buckingham Palace by surprise.
The BBC reports that the palace was ‘disappointed’ with the way in which this had been handled.
No members of The Royal Family were conducted ahead of the couple’s statement being released.
Speaking shortly after the news, a Buckingham Palace spokesperson said that the situation was complicated with discussions at an early stage.
However, the crisis meeting next Monday shows that The Queen is willing to find a solution to this complicated issue quickly.