Spain confirm Luis Enrique’s return five months after leaving the job | Football | Sport


Spain confirm Luis Enrique's return five months after leaving the job | Football | Sport

Spain have confirmed that Luis Enrique has returned as head coach of the national team.

Enrique resigned from the role five months ago with his daughter, Xana Enrique, was fighting against bone cancer.

She passed away at the end of August, aged 9, with Enrique now returning to his role.

Enrique replaces his long-term assistant Robert Moreno, who had been given a contract until after next summer’s European Championships.

Moreno had walked out of Atletico Madrid’s Metropolitano stadium in tears following a 5-0 victory over Romania on Monday.

Spanish Football Federation president Luis Rubiales said: “We want to thank Robert Moreno for his work, he did very well, and we are very happy with what he did.

“But I repeat that Robert Moreno told us he’d spoken with Luis Enrique, who had told him he wanted to return.

“We found out through Moreno that Luis Enrique wanted to be back.”

Rubiales has left the door open for Moreno to return to Spain’s backroom team, although those chances now appear slim after an apparent falling out.

“Luis Enrique can choose his own staff,” Rubiales said.

“Personal issues between Robert Moreno and Luis Enrique are not for me or the federation to get into.”

Former Barcelona boss Enrique is not set to take charge of a game until the new year with Spain having safely qualified for Euro 2020.


Source link