Life is ever expanding, so are we humans, with our continuous quest for greater health and fitness. Today there are countless new training methods claiming to be the best for either maximum weight loss or fastest ways to get a six pack. It is endless, if one surfs the net, there are countless sites that propagate numerous workout routines, dieting recipes, and a wealth of information, making it even more difficult to understand what works best for you. In order for you to choose what work best for you, you need to examine your current fitness program. Firstly, ask yourself, “does your fitness program, rejuvenate your body, revitalize your life, keeps you staying trim and fit, here and now, and in your old age too!” Below are seven practical steps that you can take to ensure your everyday lifestyle, is moving you closer to a better health and a brighter future.
Step 1- Understand your body
Your body is made up of 206 bones, more than 600 muscles, lungs, brain, nerves, various parts and systems which work in perfect harmony and co-operation. The wonderful and amazing human body is the temple of your soul, and you are the caretaker of this precious body.
Step 2 – You are a product of Evolution
Your body has evolved from a microscopic cell to what you are now. As nature takes its course, you will grow old and die. Plan in your present state to keep fit and healthy as you approach your old age. There are many benefits to reap with a slim agile body, an alert active mind and energetic cheerful life. This is your birthright!
Step 3 – Maintain a correct posture
Always be mindful of your body, its movements and its posture. This may seem insignificant to you but, over a long period of time, having a good posture can give you countless benefits. It is just a matter of developing the habit, and often habits are formed through repetition. Keep your head high, body erect and back straight. Avoid slouching and leaning forward. Remember, to keep your earlobes in line with your shoulder, shoulders back inline with your knees and back straight and tummy tucked in.
Step 4 – Breathing
Deep breathing is a simple and effective habit to improve your well being. Take deep breaths from time to time. Breathe out, pressing in your stomach muscles, till your lungs are empty. Then breathe in, pushing forward you stomach, till your lungs are filled. Deep breathing supplies the body with much needed oxygen, which nourishes every cell in the body and slow exhalation, helps the body to get rid of the toxin build up in your lungs. Conscious breathing clams the mind, increases the vital capacity and energizes the whole body.
Step 5 – Cultivate good eating habits
It should come as no surprise to you that good eating habits are an important component not just for weight loss but also in maintaining a healthy lifestyle. Eat balanced and nutritious food, while avoiding processed foods such as fast food, microwaveable food and plastic- wrapped food. Processed foods have been through numerous processes before they end up for sale. These foods have lost their natural content and have very little or no nutrient values to replenish the body. Make sure you chew on your food properly. Eat slowly as 80% of digestion takes place in the mouth and only the remaining 20% in the stomach. Eating slowly is one method that can help take off pounds. This is because it takes the brain 20 minutes to signal to the body that it’s already full from the meal you’ve had.
Step 6 – A Good fitness program
A good fitness program should be a combination of calisthenics, Isometrics, Biotonics, Pranayama, Yoga postures and Meditation. A complete and effective program will give you:
(a) Cardio- Vascular Fitness by aerobic exercises to keep the heart healthy and build up endurance and stamina.
(b) Abdominal Fitness by tightening exercises to keep off the fat in the abdomen, help digestion, elimination, circulation and weight control.
(c) Muscular Strength by isometric exercises. All muscle groups should be ‘tensed’ to strengthen them. Body aches, back pain and bad posture are a result of poor muscle conditioning.
(d) Flexibility by Yoga will give you a supple body with full range of movements of all joints. Yoga postures massage the internal organs, tone up the Endocrine system, slow down the aging process and ensure mobility at old age.
(e) Relaxation by allowing your body and brain to rest in a state of tranquility. We suffer from the tensions and stresses of modern living. Stress induced illness can be prevented by deep and systematic relaxation. Regular “sittings” in meditation will relax your body, your mind and bring joy to your life
Step 7 – Acquire knowledge
Read books, listen to talks, watch TV programs on Yoga, health and exercises. As the saying goes, ‘knowledge is not power but the application of knowledge is power’. Consult a Yoga expert and work out a program suitable to your needs and age through utilizing the application of an informed choice.