“North Korea launched multiple projectiles in the early morning from around Hodo Peninsula in South Hamgyong Province,” the JCS said, adding that it was on the alert for further launches.
“Our military is tracking and watching the related movement in preparation to additional launches, and is maintaining readiness posture.”
A US official familiar confirmed to CNN that two projectiles had been fired by North Korea. Another official separately told CNN that launches did not pose a threat to the United States.
The White House is aware of the launch, a senior US administration official said.
This most recent launch comes as North Korean officials indicated to a White House national security administration official last week that working level talks could start very soon, a senior administration official said Tuesday.
According to North Korea’s state-run Korean Central News Agency (KCNA), the July 25 launches were intended to send a warning to South Korea and had been “personally organized” by North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.
South Korea said then that it viewed the twin launches as a “military threat” designed to undermine progress toward stability on the Korean Peninsula.
This is a developing story and will be updated.