These days many men spend almost as much time primping in front of the bathroom mirror as their female counterparts. And why shouldn’t they? There is nothing wrong with giving nature a helping hand and taking the time and trouble to make sure you’re looking your absolute best. Men are discovering what women have always known; when you know you look good, it’s a great confidence booster. The personal care industry has taken note of this trend and most companies now offer “beauty” lines created specifically for men, ranging from skin and hair care products and gifts to make up and even spa days and short breaks tailored for men.
The Importance of Skin Care
- Good skin care is just as important for men as it is for women. Protecting your skin from sun damage and keeping it clean and well moisturized will help you stay looking young and healthy much longer.
- Wear a sunscreen with a high SPF to protect your face when you’re outdoors. It’s also a good idea to wear sunglasses to protect the fine skin around your eyes and prevent the fine lines and creases that are caused by squinting.
- Wash your face twice a day. Men’s skin tends to be oilier than women’s because they have larger pores. If your skin is prone to breakouts, use an antibacterial soap or cleanser. Apply a light, non-oily moisturizer, such as pure Aloe Vera gel or Vitamin E oil, once your face is clean.
- Shaving is very hard on your skin and can leave it irritated, dry and flaky. To reduce irritation and dryness, use shaving products that are alcohol free.
- Exfoliate at least once a week to deep clean your face, tighten your pores, remove dead skin cells, and rejuvenate the appearance of your skin. You can purchase a scrub or make one yourself. Brown sugar and sesame oil combined to make a paste works well as a scrub. Simply massage it in and then wash it off.
Making the Most of Your Hair
Having the right cut, style and color can do a great deal for your image. Go to a good stylist and ask them to recommend what would be most flattering for you given your features, the natural texture of your hair, and in some cases, how much of it you have left.
- Once you have a great style, get your hair trimmed every four weeks.
- In between, keep your hair clean, shiny and dandruff free with good quality shampoos and conditioners.
- If you have bushy eyebrows or excessive nose or ear hair, get your stylist to trim it regularly or show you how to do it yourself.
Achieving the ideal masculine look takes a little more effort than just a shower, shave, slapping on some deodorant and brushing your teeth. But in the end it is well worth the effort. You’ll feel better about yourself, look younger and more vibrant and maybe even turn a few heads in the process.