It was a manic Monday on the grass-courts at Wimbledon with all round of 16 matches taking the court. Here are the Top 5 photos to sum up all the action.
1. Alison Riske posted a 3-6, 6-2, 6-3 victory over world No. 1 Ashleigh Barty to continue her breakthrough tournament. She risked it all, coming up with outstanding shots that kept Barty on the defense. The unseeded American will play in her first Grand Slam quarterfinal against Serena Williams, who looked her best of the fortnight in her win over Carla Suarez Navarro.
2. Rafael Nadal seamlessly slid past Joao Sousa with a 6-2, 6-2, 6-2, round of 16 win. The Spaniard has showed he is prepared to go far at Wimbledon even though he opted to skip all lead-up grass tournaments. The French Open champion remains on course for a blockbuster semifinal clash against Roger Federer.
3. In just over an hour, Serena Williams stormed past Carla Suarez Navarro 6-2, 6-2, to advance to the quarterfinals. Though she has very little match play under her belt, she’s finding her game and using each match as an opportunity to improve. The 23-time Grand Slam champion has never faced Riske before.
4. Novak Djokovic secured his 69th Wimbledon victory with a dominant performance against Ugo Humbert. The world No. 1 comfortably advanced 6-3, 6-2, 6-3 to reach his 11th Wimbledon quarterfinal, and became only the fourth player to achieve the feat in the Open era. The reigning Wimbledon champion will face David Goffin for a spot in the semifinals.
5. Simona Halep entered her round of 16 matchup against 15-year-old Cori Gauff with the least amount of unforced errors of anyone in the field. The former world No. 1 ended Gauff’s magical run, 6-3, 6-3, to reach her third Wimbledon quarterfinal. The 2018 French Open champion will take on unseeded Shuai Zhang next, who she lost to twice in 2016.