At first 12-year-old Kylei Brown and her family couldn’t figure out just what was going on with her. The family, from Indiana, arrived in Destin earlier this month on vacation.
After a day spent frolicking on a beach, Kylei woke up with an awful pain in her lower leg.
Everyone just thought it was a charlie horse, Brown said, so the family continued on with their vacation. But the next day Kylei’s pain was even worse. It was so bad she couldn’t even walk.
“At that point, I had to put her on my back and carry her around,” Brown said. Kylei’s leg started to swell and she developed a fever.
It’s fast moving and deadly
“They were taking her into emergency surgery trying to remove the infection from her leg. And doing that, they were trying to save her leg and save her because the infection was moving so rapidly,” Brown told the TV station.
Days of surgeries lie ahead
Necrotizing fascitis can be caused by different kinds of bacteria, like Group A Strep or Vibrio vulnificus. The bacteria, often found in water, can enter the body through an open wound. Brown thinks Kylei had a wound on her lower leg after she hurt herself on a skateboard before the family left for Florida.
The CDC recommends avoiding spending time in natural bodies of water, hot tubs or swimming pools if you have an open wound.
The Florida Department of Health said it had not been contacted by the family or anyone who said they may have been exposed to this bacteria in the state.
“We are taking this issue seriously and are working with the Alabama and Indiana departments of health to collect information on this case and determine if this was caused by a bacteria such as vibrio or any other reportable health condition, Emerson George, a spokesperson for the health department, said in a email.
CNN has reached out to the family and is waiting to hear back.